Sunday, March 7, 2010

March is reading month!

I come from a family of readers and I think nothing beats curling up in a cozy, sunny nook with a cup of coffee and a good book. My husband...not so much. So, I'm trying to nuture Ava's love of reading by reading to her and by showing her how much I enjoy reading.



Her daycare has a contest every March where the parents keep track of the books they read to their child and the room with the most books read has a party at the end of the month, which I love. So we're reading up a storm this month. Right now we're reading The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L Konigsburg. It's a chapter book, one of my favorites as a child. As I mentioned a while back, I think reading chapter books to younger children is a great way to encourage their imaginations (and maybe even increase their attention spans). Sarah Jane just posted about this a little while ago with a list of chapter books I can't wait to search for at the next library book sale.

And, in honor of Reading Month, I'm going to post reviews and recommendations on what we're reading lately all month!

No comments:

Post a Comment