Thursday, April 22, 2010

The C-word

I had this mole that looked a little funny. In fact, it met all the ABCD requirements for "looks funny." But, like a lot of moms, I put worrying about myself on the back burner. I'm ashamed to say that years passed before I finally had it looked at by a dermatologist. When I went a few weeks ago she said she wanted to remove it "as soon as possible." So, last week I went in for out-patient surgery and 30 minutes and 10 external stitches (plus some internal) later my mole was on its way to the lab. To say I was worried about it is an understatment. But, good news, the doctor's office called yesterday and said it was perfectly normal (other than being funny looking).

Then, that same day, I learned that brain tumors had just been discovered in the 13-year-old brother of a friend. He underwent a 10-hour surgery yesterday to remove the tumors and determine if they are malignant.



The C-word is scary and I think all families have been affected by cancer in some way or another. The good news is we can do something about it. It's Relay season. I used to work for the America Cancer Society and I can attest to what a great organization it is and how carefully they spend donor dollars. So, whether you join a Relay team, make a donation, or just drop by the local Relay to show your support (and maybe buy some of the baked goods or auction items the teams sell to raise money) please considered getting involved.

One of my favorite programs that Relay helps support is Camp Catch-A-Rainbow. It is a camp just like any other, with the expection that it has doctors and nurses who volunteer their time to ensure that the campers get their needed cancer treatments. It's also for kids who have or have had cancer, which is great because those currently battling can see those who have come out on the other side. I was lucky enough to spend a few days at the camp years ago and, like a lot of things at ACS, it was both heartbreaking and uplifting. Kids as young as four with their cheeks swollen from chemo, but having a blast making craft projects or singing silly songs around the campfire.

That's all. Things are crazy at work right now, which is another reason posting has been light over here. I do have lots to share, so hopefully I'll get caught up over the weekend.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that it just came back funny looking!!! And I'm really mad that you didn't call to tell me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did call! I called right after I found out and told mom all about it. She didn't tell you?

    ReplyDelete